Packaging Engineer – Santa Rosa, CA
We are seeking a Packaging Engineer to establish and manage packaging related duties for each of our brands. This position will be based at our Santa Rosa manufacturing facility, reporting directly to the VP of Operations.
The Packaging Engineer designs, tests, and implements packaging designs that are an integral part of the organization’s Product Development process. They also review and improve existing packaging designs.This individual develops, designs, and tests standards and guidelines for developing packaging solutions for the organization’s products. They work with internal resources and packaging suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals.
- Cannabistry is a scientific research and development company with a highly successful team of food and beverage industry executives, scientists, engineers, marketers, and designers who are collaborating to produce high quality products in the cannabis industry. Our mission is to develop and produce demonstrably better cannabis-infused products and brands that deliver outstanding quality, efficacy, reliability and experiences
- Cannabistry partners with M Plant Productions, located in Santa Rosa, CA, to commercialize, market and sell various cannabis-infused brands within its portfolio in the CA market. M Plant Productions is a 19,200 sq ft state-of-the-art, food-grade manufacturing facility with Type 6 extraction capability and Type 11 Distribution capabilities as well. Within M Plant Productions’ facility, Cannabistry’s team of experts conduct R&D, Product Development, Sensory validation and Scale-Up to create best-in-class products.
Mission, Vision and Values
- Our Mission is to develop and produce demonstrably better products and brands that deliver outstanding quality, efficacy, reliability and experiences.
- Our Vision is to create the leading trust-marks for cannabis and CBD consumers.
- Our Values: Innovative, Entrepreneurial, Collaborative, Customer centric, Principled
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to determine physical characteristics of item, special handling, environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials required for packaging.
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, product management, operations, and sourcing.
- Participate in product innovation teams, to deliver new products to market.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage.
- Work closely with commercialization and engineering teams to optimize packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization, standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with the manufacturing department to ensure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that packaging exceeds customer specifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Engineering is required
- Knowledge of industrial or consumer packaging, understanding of packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM, etc.), drafting and specification standards is essential
- Problem solving and decision-making skills are necessary
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team and have good communication skills, orally and in writing
- Understanding of rapid prototyping
- Must be able to demonstrate project management skills and experience
- Good reasoning ability is required to solve a wide range of business problems
- Able to apply statistical calculations, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and sampling theory as well as algebra, linear equations, and other analytics as required
- Able to understand and utilize management reports and plans to conduct business.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Cannabistry and MPlant Productions is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the company’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law. M Plant Productions does not discriminate against applicants or employees because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. We believe that every employee, through their diverse abilities and experiences, can contribute to our growth and the community we serve. We embrace diversity and are committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants. If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our Human Resources Department. We will be happy to assist you. We will only share your accommodation request with those individuals who have a specific need to know. The request for an accommodation will not affect any hiring decisions. All other submissions should be performed online.